Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Why I Want to Serve

Lauren and The Fonz (The Fonz will not attend ASB)
I spend a lot of time thinking, teaching, and writing about social inequality, but sometimes I worry that I'm not really doing anything about it.  Alternative Spring Break will be a great chance to get away from the ivory tower and do some work in the community.

Volunteering can be a tricky thing to do.  If you're not explicitly a member of a certain community, it can be hard to gain access and develop trust, despite having the very best of intentions.  I got a lot of experience in this hard truth when I served as a member of Americorps the year after I graduated undergrad.

Because of this experience, I'm very excited that we're partnering with Bama Covered for this trip.  They have given us support and a concrete mission for our time in Brewton--and the issue of healthcare will be incredibly timely when we're down there.  I think it's going to be a challenging and rewarding trip, and I'm excited to co-lead with Andrew!

No comments:

Post a Comment