Thursday, March 13, 2014

Why I Want to Serve: Taylor

My senior year photo - the only presentable one


As an African-American, a female, and a college student, different struggles rise throughout my college education. While being in college definitely has its perks for my success in the future, the current state of my generation needs help now; especially for those who look and live like I do. Coming into college with no set major, I often found myself wondering,” How will my degree help me help others like me some day?”
When I first heard about this trip and the opportunity to inform and help Alabamians with health care, something inside knew that I needed to do this. The issue of health care has proved to be pertinent issue in the lives of Americans as of recently. In the southern region of the U.S., knowledge and advocacy about health care are often overlooked and ignored. Personally, I never even considered my need or options for health care because I knew my parents handled it all, until about a year ago when I was in a tragic car accident. Thankfully I knew that I was covered under my parents' insurance, but I often wondered how I would've managed if things were different. At my age, I didn't realize how much responsibility I would have to take in the future to care for myself.
This alternative spring break trip is a creative and effective way to representing the University of Montevallo, as well as helping improve the well-being of my fellow Alabamians. I believe that by teaming up with Bama Covered, I will not only be informing others about their options, but also learning a lot of essential information for myself. I'm hoping the organization can reach its goal with our help and I can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment