Thursday, March 20, 2014

Why I Want To Serve: Jasmyn Walker


Only photos I have on hand that are "selfies" at the moment. 




          My original Spring Break plans were to sleep, eat, and watch Net-flicks until my eyes turned red. (My usual Spring Break plans since kindergarten) Nothing important really. However, while I was trying to avoid doing my homework one night,  I saw the opportunity for the Alternative Spring Break. A chance to actual do something productive and prevent putting a permanent dent in my mom's new couch; I had to jump at the chance to help out . 
          It has been instilled in me since I was a toddler to help others. I was taught to go above and beyond for others because it is simply the right thing to do. While this is an exciting trip, this isn't my first rodeo, I volunteer a lot with my church and other organizations, but I can tell this trip is going to be different. Instead of feeding people one meal and leaving them to fend for themselves the next morning  we are actually putting a dent in the problem; not just some temporary solution to a ongoing problem. This is a chance to ,proverbially, teach a man to fish. While I know that we won't be able to help everyone, I know that we will make a change in at least one person's life and that means the world to me.Getting out there and helping others is all I really ever wanted  to do with my life and this the perfect chance to get started.
          

        





No comments:

Post a Comment