Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Reflection: How BamaCovered Helped Me

As we come to an end on our service trip, I will also take the time to reflect on the effects of what we've done and what this experience has done to me. Overall, im
I've never been so satisfied with a volunteer experience before. Unlike other volunteer opportunities that include nameless charities or random bystanders, the work of enrolling citizens into health care plans for themselves and their families became very intimate and individual on a level. I could actually see gratification in a raw form.

Obviously, the most rewarding part of the trip was being able to help others. As we canvassed around the locals towns of Atmore and Brewton, we had a chance to spread the word about health care options and answer questions. It had finally dawned on me that beyond my belief, I now knew more about such a political issue than others did. Also, many people appreciated the effort we, as college students, took to train and volunteer to help others. I had the opportunity to enroll a couple and a family into affordable plans. Feeling connected to people was the most rewarding feeling.

Alongside, there were a few negative emotions evoked as well. There were s few people that came in and were stuck in the Medicaid gap; that is to say that they made too much money to qualify for Medicaid, but not enough to afford a health care plan. As intimate as the scene was, we had no choice but to feel remorse when turning away someone that needed help. Initially, I thought people just weren't taking the opportunity to sign up for plans. Now I understand the sad truth that many Alabamians simply can't afford it.

Alabama has never been very expedient when it comes up ratifying state policies and/or laws. This type of conditioning of not staying up to speed has made Alabamians stagnant. Not only can we not do much, we don't care to. In the future, I want to commit to educating myself about issues such as these, and doing whatever I can to educate others about their options.

No comments:

Post a Comment