Thursday, March 27, 2014

Reflections on My Alternative Spring Break Experience

May or may not have stolen Andrew's pic
I was so excited to participate on the alternative spring break. I was going to meet new people, travel, and most importantly help those in need. Overall, I am glad I took part in the trip, the fact that we as a group helped even one person gain healthcare is assurance enough that I made the right choice in participating.
  
It was disappointing to find out that most of the population Escambia County did not have health insurance. As the days went on and the lack of participation as people entered in the facilities was disappointing, we came to a realization. It appeared that most of the population of Brewton and Atmore fit in the Medicaid gap. This realization altered the way we felt about what was going on. It was not the fact that people were confused or ignorant to the Affordable Care Act, the residents of Brewton couldn’t afford it. All of the people that I tried to enroll unfortunately fell into the Medicaid gap. As disappointing as it was that we did not enroll as many people as we

This volunteer experience was a lot more rewarding than any other kind of volunteering I’ve done before. I would enjoy participating in something like this again. This opportunity has definitely changed my view on the Affordable Healthcare Act. I called my aunt this afternoon to make sure that she had gone on marketplace.gov to see her opportunities.
would’ve liked to, we got the word out, we raised awareness about the Medicaid gap, and luckily for some people, they were able to get affordable healthcare. Thanks so much to Tullia and BamaCovered as well as University of Montevallo, Andrew, and Lauren for taking out the time and setting this up.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you all made lemonade out of lemons. God knows the hearts of each of you and each of you will continue to be richly blessed because of your selfless act. It doesn't matter how many people you signed up, what matters is your willingness and sacrifice.

    Love you and the young woman you mature into each and every day.

    Mommie

    PS- Reflections is spelled incorrectly.

    ReplyDelete