Thursday, March 27, 2014

Reflecting Upon My Spring Break Experience

When I was preparing for this trip, I knew that we would help people and I knew that there would be some that we would be unable to help. The thing that I did not know, however, was just how hard it would be to see people walkaway knowing that there is nothing affordable out there for them. The majority of the people that we talked with fell in the medicaid gap, they make too much money for medicaid, but don't make enough to get government help paying for insurance. Seeing their reactions was unsettling and upsetting at the very core, I mean we came on this trip to help people. I finally just resigned myself to the fact that it is not us that is the problem, Governer Bentley would not extend medicaid to cover those without a truly affordable option. I, along with Jasmyn, have decided to start a letter writing campaign to urge Mr. Bentley to change this. I have started a petition and have gathered a few signatures already.

Now, on to the reflection questions:
The most rewarding moment of the trip was the people that we were able to enroll in healthcare coverage, The lady that I helped in Atmore was so appreciative and she needed it so much. The excitement in her voice and how grateful that she was, it was an amazing feeling. I was able to provide her with the right tool to drastically change her life. Everyone should volunteer to do at least something, it is an amazing feeling. The other highlight of my trip was when I saw a lady who's family has never had health insurance be enrolled for a plan that was less than $40 a month for her whole family. I talked with her on the phone and she drove for over an hour to get to us in Brewton, and while I was not the one who helped her enroll, I was still just as happy to help her.

The most difficult part of this trip was seeing so many people fall in the Medicaid gap, especially those who were visibly upset. I wish I had money to give to them. Another difficult part was when we were chased off of some property where we were trying to spread our word and the manager of the business showed no caring at all. He said that if people worked they could get healthcare, and this is, unfortunately not true. 

This trip has nothing to do with any volunteer work that I have previously done, but this was the most memorable. Most of the other stuff I have done was about issues that have been going on for a long time and the awareness was pretty much already there. This experience was completely different. This is such a controversial issue and it highly politicized that it was a bit unnerving. Overall, I would volunteer to do this same thing again or something extremely similar. This experience was very rewarding for me.

This trip has ignited a fire in me about healthcare issues, mainly the medicaid gap. Something needs to be done for these people and it needs to happen now. I have seen people so in need of health care and cannot afford it but cannot get on medicaid, these people need to be reached also. We need to find a way to try and reach Governer Bentley and allow him to understand and see the need for extending medicaid coverage. This is our time and we can do it. It only takes a few to do big things. If we won't look out for and help these people who need healthcare the most, then I want to know, who will?

No comments:

Post a Comment